Wednesday 22 June 2016

I Received...Another Engraved Cover

I mentioned in a previous blog that I have started buying up French year sets where possible to flesh out my French engravers collection. Well, another set arrived in the mail the other day, locked inside a rather cool cover with two engraved stamps affixed. Just ignore the hideous third stamp (hideous to me, anyway).


Here is a closer look at the stamps.


The stamp on the left was issued by France on 8 December 1980. It is a semi-postal with a Red Cross surcharge. It was designed and engraved by Michel Monvoison. The stamp depicts filling the granaries of the Cathedral of Amiens. 

The stamp on the right was issued by France on 14 December 1970. It is also a semi-postal with a Red Cross surcharge. This stamp was designed and engraved by the prolific Pierre Gandon. It depicts a fresco at Chateau of Dissay (I think) in Dissay, a town in the department of Vienna, France. I haven't fully researched this stamp yet, so the details may be wrong.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment